We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Slow cooker cinnamon raisin French toast makes an easy weekend breakfast for a few, or for a Sunday morning brunch crowd.
Crisp fall or blistery winter mornings just begs for food that makes us feel warm and cozy. Although this recipe is perfect for a lazy weekend morning, it’s equally fabulous for the busy, working, run-the-kids-here-there-and-everywhere family.
VERSATILITY of slow cookers
I use my slow cooker all the time; in the summer it makes a great meal that doesn’t heat up the house (and allows us to be out swimming and enjoying the sun), in the fall and winter, it’s great for any busy family to have a hot meal on the table without a lot of fuss.
gluten and dairy free
This slow cooker French toast recipe came about when I was hosting a family brunch and didn’t want to have to make both a ‘regular’ and a ‘gluten/dairy free’ version of the same recipe. (And with this recipe, no one noticed it was gluten and dairy free!)
Reducing processed food intake and going gluten and dairy free was one of the holistic supports we chose when our daughter had some co-morbid conditions with autism, which you can read more about here. In the end, changes to our diet not only helped her, but our whole family become healthier.
I’ve talked about my love for Aldi in previous posts, and how they have reasonably priced (and good!) gluten and dairy free options, and one of these is bagels. More specifically, cinnamon raisin bagels. That’s what I use for this recipe.
a word about milk substitutions
Any milk substitute can be used for this recipe, but I like to use a vanilla milk substitute. Learn more about the best dairy free substitutes for baking here.
Although this recipe is sweetened with brown sugar, you may still want to top it with some warm 100% maple syrup.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Raisin French Toast – Gluten and dairy free
- Slow Cooker
- 6 whole Cinnamon Raisin gluten free bagels cut up into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp Butter substitute like Earth Balance
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 cup Non-flavored or vanilla dairy-free milk substitute If using vanilla dairy free milk, omit vanilla
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 med Apple, chopped Optional
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker (or use a non-stick spray or liner)
- Cut bagels into bite-sized pieces
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla
- Combine bagel pieces and egg mixture together, making sure all of the bagel pieces are covered
- Place entire mixture into the slow cooker
- Melt butter substitute and combine with brown sugar
- Pour brown sugar mixture over the top bagel mixture, and lightly toss with a spoon
- Cook on high 2 hours and 15 minutes**
- Serve warm with maple syrup or other desired toppings
Have you made a version of this recipe? Is there a must-have addition to this recipe for your family? (We love to add apples)
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!