We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Nothing says fall like soup – and one of my family’s favorites is chicken tortilla soup. This recipe can be made-ahead as a freezer meal, or made in a crock pot for same-day serving.
What’s for Dinner?
We’re getting in the groove of school, and busier schedules, which means more plan-ahead dinners. Planning ahead prevents us from ordering out something that’s less healthy. And, because my kiddo is gluten-and-dairy free, ordering out can be challenging. This recipe is both gluten and dairy free!
Benefit of Slow Cookers
I love my crock pot. (Truth be told, I even take it camping, so we can enjoy the great outdoors and come back to a hot meal) Slow cookers are not only convenient, but tend to use just a handful of ingredients which I love.
Make today or make ahead
This chicken tortilla soup recipe can be made on the day it’s served, but can also be made as a make-ahead freezer meal. I do this by omitting the broth and spices, and freezing the rest of the ingredients in a zip-top bag. When we’re ready to make it, I add the broth and spices with the frozen ingredients into a crock pot. The great thing about this recipe, is that it’s only a handful of ingredients, many of which you likely have in your pantry.
In my experience, it seems that people either love or hate this ingredient. (I am on the LOVE, LOVE, LOVE side). I have a cilantro plant on the kitchen window sill. It makes it easy to just chop off a bit when it’s needed. Cilantro can also be purchased fresh, or in a tube already chopped and ready to go. I just love it in this dish.
Let’s jump into the recipe!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (2-3)
- 14.5 oz can, diced tomatoes
- 4 oz can, green chilies
- 14.5 oz can, yellow corn
- 14.5 oz can, black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans 14.5 oz, chicken broth
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 jalapenos, diced Optional
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro Optional
- tortilla strips
- Daiya (dairy free) cheese
- Combine diced, raw chicken, diced tomatoes, green chilies, corn, black beans, chicken broth, onion, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper into a slow cooker and stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve hot and top with your favorite gluten and dairy free ingredients and enjoy!
Chicken tortilla soup can be served along side sandwiches – for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Alternatively, I’ve added white rice and served it with salad.
Have you made chicken tortilla soup? If so, what are your must-have additions?
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!