We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This recipe for gluten, dairy free chicken pot pie recipe will make you think about curling up with a good book and wearing fuzzy socks on a cold winter day. This is a family favorite!
Although today you’ll find many gluten and dairy free off-the-shelf foods, we try to cook as much from scratch as possible, to avoid processed foods. I have yet to find a gluten and dairy free frozen pot pie, so I set out to make a version my family would love. [Do you know of one? Post in the comments!]
We started a gluten, dairy free lifestyle when my daughter was 4 years old. Back then, there simply weren’t many pre-packaged gluten and dairy free choices like there are today. Therefore, I adapted recipes to make my own. My daughter is a great taste-tester!
Versatility filling for different dinners!
This recipe is versatile! It can be made using gluten free pie crust or by topping it with gluten free (Bisquick) biscuits. Of the two, I prefer the biscuit recipe. This is because making a gluten free pie crust is just too much work for an easy weeknight dinner.
Honestly, our favorite way to eat this is over rice or gluten free noodles. I suppose that makes it more of an ‘ala king’ than pot pie. However, the taste, creaminess and comfort of this recipe screams chicken pot pie.
Besides, the key to using any of those variations is the filling and this recipe delivers on taste. You won’t miss the dairy or gluten.
Dairy free substitutes
Pot pie filling requires butter and milk substitutes. For this recipe, use either a baking stick (like Earth Balance), or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). There are lots of anti anti-inflammatory properties in EVOO, so I like to add it to recipes where I can. As for milk, I like to use rice milk because it’s non-flavored and the consistency is similar to skim milk. Check out other substitutes for dairy.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling – Gluten and Dairy Free
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
We use a mild flavored EVOO
- ¼ cup All purpose gluten-free flour
- ⅓ cup Chopped onion
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1¾ cup Chicken broth
- ⅔ cup Non-flavored, dairy-free milk substitute I use rice milk
- 1½ cup Cubed (cooked) chicken I’ve used 2 chicken breasts or leftovers from a chicken roast
- 10 ounces Mixed veggies Frozen soup mix (corn, peas, carrots)
- ¾ cup Gluten-free Bisquick™
- ½ cup Non-flavored, dairy-free milk substitute I use rice milk
- 2 Tbsp Non dairy baking stick like Earth Balance melted, or EVOO
- 1 Tbsp Chopped parsley
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion. Cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Stir in gluten free flour, salt and pepper
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; Remove from heat
- Stir in broth and milk substitute
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute
- Stir in chicken and vegetables (peas, carrots, corn — or use a frozen soup mix). Remove from heat.
- Mix in 2 cups of cooked rice or noodles to create an ala king version, or use biscuit version, below.
- Pour chicken pot pie filling into a 2 qt. casserole dish
- In small bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, egg, butter and parsley with fork until blended.
- Drop mixture by spoonfuls over chicken mixture.
- Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Please let me know in the comments.
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend.