We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Last Updated on
It seems like every awesome recipe I find uses canned cream soup! Tasty. Delish. Slow Cooker recipes. I love to reference sites like these and watch the videos to figure out what’s for dinner. However, it seems like every “easy” recipe I’ve ever found includes a can of cream soup, such as chicken, celery or mushroom. “Just dump it into the slow cooker,” it says as I sigh.
In our gluten and dairy-free world, we can’t use an off-the-shelf can of soup. It seems that every great recipe I find includes a can of cream of mushroom, chicken or celery soup, so as a result, I decided to make my own.
I’m going to show you how to make a simple substitute 5 different ways that you can use in a multitude of recipes such as chicken and rice casserole, green bean casserole, chicken pot pie and beef stroganoff. Want to pour it over egg noodles? Check out this gluten, dairy free (and EASY) recipe!
Be sure to use certified gluten free ingredients.
Canned Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute – Gluten & Dairy Free
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil We use a mild flavored EVOO
- ¼ cup All purpose Gluten free flour
- ⅓ cup Chopped onion
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1¾ cup Chicken broth
- ⅔ cup Non-flavored, dairy-free milk substitute
- 1½ cup Cubed (cooked) chicken I've used 2 chicken breasts or leftovers from a chicken roast
- 10 oz Veggies (corn, carrots, peas or frozen soup mix)
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Stir in gluten free flour, onion, salt and pepper
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat
- Stir in broth and milk substitute
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute
- Stir in chicken and vegetables (peas, carrots, corn — or use a frozen soup mix). Remove from heat.
Cream of mushroom
Use the cream of chicken recipe. Substitute the chicken broth for mushroom broth. Substitute the cut cup chicken for mushrooms.
Cream of Celery
Use the cream of chicken recipe. Substitute the cut up chicken for finely chopped celery. If not being used in a recipe that will be baked, cook the celery first in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil until translucent.
Cream of Beef
Use the cream of chicken recipe. Substitute the chicken broth for beef broth. Substitute the cut up chicken for cubed pieces of beef.
Any of the above can be adapted to make different types of gravy. Simply add less flour (1 1/2 TBSP) and omit the added meat. Use meat drippings with broth when available. I do this at Thanksgiving when I make our turkey dinner – and everyone raves about the gravy.
In conclusion, I use a variation of this gluten, dairy-free cream soup recipe a lot! My family loves them all, and it doesn’t take more than about 15 minutes to whip together to add to a slow cooker or casserole recipe.