We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This my family’s favorite recipe for gluten and dairy free breakfast bars. This recipe is a must have for on-the-go families! For days when we have limited time to make it to the bus, this is a quick, nutritious breakfast that is portable.
Although there are many gluten and dairy free breakfast bar options in the store (many more than when we began a gluten and dairy free lifestyle) I prefer to make this recipe to limit the number of additives.
This super easy recipe uses simple ingredients and makes for a quick weekday breakfast or after school snack. It only takes about 15 minutes to put together this make-ahead recipe.
These breakfast bars also make a great pairing with my morning cup of coffee.
Breakfast Bars, Gluten & Dairy Free
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ cup Maple almond butter
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 3 cups Crisp rice cereal, gluten free We like Erewhon brand
- ⅓ cup Raisins
- 2 Tbsp Sunflower seeds optional
- 1 Tbsp Ground flax seed
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan, set aside (We like Spectrum shortening)
- In a large saucepan bring honey, almond butter and sugar to a boil. Stir on medium heat for 2 -3 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined and the cereal is evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into the prepared, greased baking pan. Use a spatula to spread evenly. (Spray spatula with non-stick cooking spray like Spectrum)
- Let cool. Cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container for 7 to 10 days.
Breakfast Bar Mix-in Substitutions
What’s great about this recipe is that you can mix and match your favorite ingredients. Substitute maple almond butter for sunflower seed butter, cashew butter, peanut butter, tahini or any other nut butter. I like to use what has the highest protein content.
Don’t love raisins? Try craisins, chocolate chips (enjoy life gluten, dairy free), or any kind of dried fruit. Our family likes to try different flavor combinations – get creative and have fun.
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!