We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Last Updated on
Nothing says comfort food like warm, bubbly mac n’ cheese. When my daughter started on a gluten and dairy free diet, I never thought we’d find a suitable substitute for this family favorite.
Honestly, this recipe doesn’t take too much longer or more effort than the boxed version, and with this recipe, there’s no powdered cheese stuff with artificial food coloring and words I can’t pronounce.
Since starting a gluten, dairy free diet, I’ve found substitutes for nearly all of my daughter’s favorites. Today there are many gluten, dairy free options on the market which we use sometimes, but I like to avoid unnecessary additives that often come with processed foods. When we do use a ready made version of mac n’ cheese, we like Amy’s, found in the frozen section.
We like to try different pasta shapes, sizes and mix-ins like broccoli, chicken or peas. Here’s a picture using Tinkayada’s Little Dreams pasta with fun shapes.
Mac n’ Cheese, Gluten & Dairy Free
- 1 cup Cooked pasta Gluten free
- ¼ cup Finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp Non-dairy butter substitute Earth Balance or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp All purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 Dash Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1¼ cup Rice milk Or another non-dairy milk product
- 2 cups Daiya shredded cheddar product
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F
- Cook gluten free pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt non-dairy butter substitute and onion. Cook onion until translucent.
- Using a whisk, stir in flour, salt and pepper
- Add rice milk; cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Add in cheese substitute and stir until melted
- Add cooked pasta to cheese mix
- To oven bake, transfer to a 1 quart casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes until bubbly.
At our house, we usually eat this right out of the saucepan, without baking in the oven. When baked, I like to add some crunch by crushing up some gluten free crisp rice cereal or breadcrumbs like Ian’s. Sprinkle over the top.
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!