We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Banana bread French toast on a weekend morning! Who doesn’t love a lazy weekend morning? I know I do. After the week day hustle, I love nothing more than hanging in my pajamas and making breakfast for the family. When we started eating gluten and dairy free several years ago, it was hard to find good recipes for baked goods.
Now that gluten and dairy free is more mainstream, there are lots of pre-made options, but if you’re limiting intake of refined sugar, dyes hydrogenated oils or other ingredients, it’s sometimes easier to make your own.
Banana bread is delicious in its own right, but sliced, dipped and pan-fried as French toast? Spectacular! This is a tried-and-true recipes that our family loves. And, full disclosure, this recipe is great for any weekend – and special days like Christmas morning!
Moreover, this banana bread freezes well, so you can make it ahead and pull it out of the freezer the night before you want to make french toast.
Having a good all purpose gluten free flour is a must for this recipe! Also, when replacing milk and butter, here is a list of substitutes. It’s also fun to top this with dairy-free whipped cream; Reddi-Whip makes a couple of non-dairy versions.
Banana Bread French Toast, Gluten and Dairy Free
Banana Bread Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup mashed banana about 3 medium sized bananas
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup oil canola, extra virgin olive oil, or vegetable oil
French Toast Ingredients
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar
Banana Bread – Directions
- Prehead oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a loaf pan (8½ inch x 4½ inch); we use Spectrum shortening
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, sugar, bananas, vanilla and oil.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Transfer the batter into prepared pan
- Bake 45-50 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cook completely before slicing into 1″ thick slices.
French Toast – Directions
- Whisk together eggs, non-dairy milk, vanilla and sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Heat a skilled with oil over medium heat
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture, turning slices over a couple of times
- Gently lay soaked bread slices into a hot skillet 2 at a time and pan fry until the french toast is golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Top each slice with slices of banana, powdered sugar and maple syrup.
All that’s left to do is grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy!
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!