We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This gluten and dairy free cut out cookie recipe is for cookie lovers! It tastes like the real deal.
I love to bake. LOVE to bake. Every year I make dozens and dozens of cookies – sometimes as many as 10 different kinds. When we started cooking gluten and dairy free several years ago, I mourned the loss of “regular” cookies with bright holiday red dye.
If you’ve followed our journey, you know that the most gains we ever saw – in sleep, behavior and eye contact – happened when we started to eat more whole foods – the kind without dyes, chemicals, gluten or dairy.
My mission was to find two or three kinds of really good gluten and dairy free cookies that our daughter could have – and this recipe made the cut. I love it because it makes about 2 dozen, which is a perfect amount for the holiday season. My daughter looks forward to these every year.
I also make the sprinkles, using organic sugar and India Tree natural food colors. The colors are a bit more muted than traditional holiday dyes, but they taste delicious, and I rest easy knowing what the ingredients are.
Be sure to use certified gluten free ingredients. For an all purpose gluten free flour recipe — click here! For dairy-free baking substitutes — click here! For butter, we like using Earth Balance baking sticks.
Cut Out Cookies, Gluten and Dairy Free
- 6 tbsp non-dairy baking stick Like Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose, gluten free flour make sure it has a binder like xantham gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp non dairy baking stick like Earth Balance
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- water or dairy milk substitite
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- India Tree natural food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside
- Cream the baking stick and sugar together until well combined.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Cream together.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and combine well. It will be sticky; if you think it’s too sticky, add a little more flour, 1 tsp at a time; too much flour will make dough tough.
- Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap
- Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour
- Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface, place the disk of dough on it and sprinkle a bit of flour on top.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness. If sticky, lay plastic wrap on top and then roll over it.
- Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut dough into desired cookie shapes. Place cookies onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes (will depend on size and thickness of cookies) I find that gluten free flour doesn’t brown as much as regular flour, but these will get lightly brown around the edges
- Allow to cool completely before frosting and sprinkling with colored sugar
- Prepare Frosting: Mix powdered sugar, baking stick, and vanilla until well combined. Add liquid 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.
- Prepare Colored Sugar: Place 3 tbsp of granulated sugar into a bowl. Add food coloring, 2 drops at a time and mix until desired color. Store in an air tight container.
These cookies are as pretty as they are delicious. Additionally, they make a fabulous home made gift for someone that doesn’t eat dairy or gluten. Put them into a festive box and warp in a bow. Enjoy!
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!