We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Cornbread is a staple at our Thanksgiving table. However, when we went gluten and dairy free, I struggled to find a recipe that everyone would love — but here it is!
Last week I talked about the relative ease of making Thanksgiving dinner gluten and dairy free, and shared a recipe for gluten and dairy free pumpkin pie that everyone around your holiday table will love.
A Thanksgiving meal staple
Lets talk about cornbread. This recipe is simple to make, and with a prep time of only about 15 minutes it’s a great make-ahead addition to your Thanksgiving dinner.
When baking for someone with an allergy or sensitivity (rather than preference), check all ingredients for gluten free certification. Need a gluten free all purpose flour blend? Click here.
As for a dairy milk substitute, I like rice milk, but here are some other options. The consistency reminds me of skim milk, and it doesn’t impact the taste of my baking recipes. The addition of apple cider vinegar to it makes a great buttermilk substitute.
Cornbread, Gluten & Dairy Free
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cornmeal gluten free
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder gluten free
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a loaf pan (4 1/2 in x 8 1/2 in) with shortening (I like Spectrum) and set aside
- In a small bowl, stir together milk and apple cider vinegar
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Stir in the mild mixture, eggs & oil until just blended. Don’t overmix
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To adapt this recipe to corn muffins, adjust the cook time to 20 -25 minutes.
I use this make-ahead recipe every year for Thanksgiving. Best of all, I promise that no one will know this cornbread is gluten and dairy free!
Smitten with us? Share Tumble into Love with a friend!